Do I Need a Lawyer After a Hit-and-Run Accident in Griffin?
September 17, 2022 | J.L. King
Have you been involved in a hit-and run-accident in Griffin, GA? You are not alone. Thousands of accidents happen every year across the country. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), hit-and-run fatalities were up 26% in 2020 relative to the year prior. The Georgia Electronic Accident Reporting System (GEARS) indicates that 998 traffic accidents were reported in Griffin, Georgia, in 2021.
Many of these accidents involve one car colliding with another, but they can also involve a driver hitting a pedestrian or a cyclist. The most vulnerable parties in a hit-and-run event likely to suffer catastrophic injuries are pedestrians and bicyclists, though even car occupants can suffer some serious injuries.
If you’ve been involved in a hit-and-run, it’s important to consult with a qualified attorney following the accident so they can evaluate your evidence and help you discuss your legal options. In this article, we’ll discuss the types of injuries that might enable you to recover damages, the type of damages, and seven ways an attorney can help you recover. Let’s get started.
The Types of Injuries Resulting From Hit-and-Run Accidents
Before we go further, let’s discuss the types of injuries you can receive from a hit-and-run accident. These include the following:
- spinal sprains
- neck and head trauma
- harm to the brain from trauma
- internal wounds
- bone fractures
- amputating a limb
- injury to the face and eyes
- finger, hand, or arm injuries
- damage to the knees, foot, or legs
- chest pain
- traumatic injury
- thoracic deep vein (DVT)
- additional grave injuries
- wrongful death of a loved one
These are just a few of the types of injuries that can result from these dangerous accidents.
Types of Damages You May Be Able To Obtain
Individuals who experience one of the above-mentioned injuries may be able to recover damages. However, the types and extent of damages will depend on many factors, such as the extent of their injuries and whether their actions contributed to the accident.
Economic vs. Non-Economic Damages
The most common types of damages that you can recover are economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages are those that are administered to recoup you for financial damages you’ve obtained, like lost wages, property damages, and hospital bills.
In contrast, non-economic damages are typically given so that you can obtain reimbursement for emotional distress, pain and suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life. After a hit-and-run accident, you may be able to obtain both types of damages depending on the severity of your injuries.
What To Do After an Accident
Here are a few quick tips regarding what to do and not to do after an accident:
- Collect any available evidence, if possible. Things like photos, videos, and contact information of witnesses can help your case down the line.
- Receive medical attention, even if you aren’t obviously injured. Medical evidence will be critical to your claim, and some injuries aren’t immediately noticeable.
- Do not accept blame or say sorry for the accident. Those kinds of statements can hurt your case.
- Contact the relevant authorities. Calling 911 will usually suffice; this is required by law if the accident is serious enough.
A lawyer can also provide you with guidance on how to proceed after an accident. We’ll now explore how an attorney can help you recover compensation.
The 7 Main Ways a Personal Injury Attorney Can Help You Recover
Experienced personal injury attorneys are knowledgeable about the specific rules regarding accidents, and they can guide you through any court processes in your state to help you file a claim with your insurance company or recuperate damages.
Here are the top reasons you might consider hiring a personal injury attorney to represent your case:
- You were seriously hurt in the hit-and-run accident and suffered severe injuries that need consistent medical care.
- Your insurance company or the other driver denies your claim, and you need to seek further legal repercussions to help you recover.
- You need help conducting competitive research to see how much you should reasonably ask for or accept in a settlement agreement.
- You need help understanding the law and how it operates in your case to determine all of your legal options, including negligence standards and burden of proof.
- They can review evidence and help you prepare for trial by collecting witness statements.
- They can ensure that all paperwork is filed promptly and efficiently.
- They can help you negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company or other party to your case.
Hiring a lawyer sets you up to receive maximum compensation after a hit-and-run accident.
Reach Out To an Attorney for a Free Consultation After an Accident
Being involved in a hit-and-run accident can be very scary and whether you are able to recuperate damages depends on many factors. However, having a competent legal professional guiding you through the process can help immensely. Most car accident attorneys in Griffin offer a free initial consultation to review your case.
Contact Our Car Accident Law Firm For Help Today
For more information, please contact The King Firm at your nearest location to schedule a free case evaluation today.
Or if you would prefer to reach out to us online, please visit our contact us page.